There's So Much Here to be Captured on Film
Yellowstone is a popular destination for photographers from around the world. Many shutterbugs dream to capture images of rare wildlife and geothermal phenomena that occur only here. As employees of the park we have much better chances of actually doing so - and as a result photography is a common hobby amongst employees in the park.
The Yellowstone Employee Photo Contest is a semi-annual event that the Recreation Program sponsors to showcase employee photography. There are two contests: the winter photo contest and summer photo contest. It should go without saying that entries in the winter contest should feature photos taken in winter, and the summer contest - well, hopefully you get the picture (no pun intended). Below are some details.
Photography Courses are offered in the park by the Yellowstone Association. Many park employees enjoy discounts on these courses.
Download the 2012 Summer entry form: Photo Contest Entry Form - Summer 2012
Summer 2012 Dates - Employee Photo Contest
- August 13th: ENTRY SUBMISSION DEADLINE
- August 21: Finalist Judging: MHS Employee Rec Hall 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
- August 22: Finalist Judging: LL Employee Rec Hall 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
- August 22: Finalist Judging: CL Employee EDR / Rec Hall 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
- August 23: Finalist Judging: OF Employee Rec Hall 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
- August 23: Finalist Judging: GV Greyling Dorm Lobby 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Photo Contest Winners
Check out these photo galleries featuring past Yellowstone Employee Photo Contest winners.
1) Only one entry per category per person.
2) Entries must be a 4"x6" print.
3) Each entry must be accompanied with a properly completed entry form.
4) Photos must be taken in the Greater Yellowstone Area
5) Professional photographers may not enter this contest. Any image that has either been published or taken professionally will be void.
6) Entries must be submitted to the Employee Recreation staff, in an Employee Recreation office, before office close on the deadline date, or they will be void.
Entries will be narrowed down to 25 finalists per category by a judging panel employed by the Recreation Program. These final images will then be placed in specially designed photo display cases.
These finalists will be displayed shortly after the contest deadline for all employees to vote on. Special ballots are prepared and screened to insure fair voting. Location, dates and times for the voting periods are yet to be announced but are generally as follows:
Summer Photo Contest Judging: Will occur at various locations in late August. Details will be posted once dates, times and locations are set.
Winners will be announced shortly after voting has concluded and all ballots have been tallied.
As the deadline for each contest approaches, more information on prizes and judging periods will be posted on this website as well as flyers throughout employee areas. Ask your location Employee Recreation staff if you have any more questions.